Do you dream of getting the TikTok artist verification? That’s great, but you must first learn how to use TikTok for artists.
Just a few years ago, Instagram was the go-to platform for artists who wanted to build an online presence and reach a large audience of potential clients. While many artists still use Instagram, TikTok is the new platform where everyone seems to be hanging.
TikTok has around 700 million daily active users. Many people tap the TikTok icon daily to enjoy short-form videos, get familiar with the latest trends, and chill while scrolling down.
If you’re an artist who can use a boost in sales, page views, and visits to your online store, TikTok is the platform that can help you achieve that.
Today, you’ll learn how to utilize TikTok’s power to develop your art business further and create a dedicated following of loyal fans that will support your career.
- The Ultimate Guide To Selling Art Online
- Top Websites To Sell Your Art
- Tips And Tricks To Sell More Art
- How To Start An Art Business In 10 Steps
- 25 Best eCommerce Platforms For Artists
What Is TikTok?
TikTok is a social media platform primarily focused on short-form video content. Launched in 2016 by the Chinese company ByteDance, TikTok quickly gained immense popularity worldwide, especially among younger audiences. The app allows users to create, share, and discover short videos ranging from 15 seconds to 3 minutes in length (that may change in the future).
Previously known as Musical.ly, the app was mostly used by people who shared lip-syncing videos. That’s not the case any longer:
These days, you can upload almost any type of content on the TikTok app and see it go viral in a day. As a result, artists from any place in the world have the incredible chance to make some noise around their art and leave a lasting impression on the audience.
TikTok’s Key Features
By all means, this article will cover all there is to know about TikTok for artists and how you can use it to benefit your art business. Assuming some of you are not on TikTok yet, let me prepare you by explaining the platform’s key features and how they work:
- Video Creation Tools: Users can film, edit, and enhance their videos with various effects, filters, music, and sound bites directly within the app. Feel free to use features like duets (a duet will allow you to collaborate and create split-screen videos with other users’ content).
- For You Page (FYP): Think of the FYP as the main feed on TikTok, where an algorithm presents users with a personalized stream of videos based on their interactions, preferences, and behavior on the platform. It aims to tailor content to each user’s interests, making it highly engaging.
- Diverse Content: TikTok accommodates a wide variety of content, including comedy sketches, lip-syncing, dance routines, cooking tips, educational content, and much more, catering to various interests. Of course, there is plenty of room for art tutorials that will show your audience what makes you thick as an artist.
- Engagement and Interaction: People can like, comment, share, and follow other users’ accounts, fostering a highly interactive community in the process. Additionally, TikTok’s “stitch” and “react” features allow users to clip and respond to other videos, further encouraging interaction and collaboration. And that can prove to be priceless for your art business!
- Trends and Challenges: TikTok is known for its viral trends and challenges. Users often participate in these by recreating or putting their spin on popular dances, memes, or concepts, contributing to the platform’s viral nature.
To sum up, TikTok has a user-friendly interface you can manage without any issues. There is no need to be tech-savvy to start using TikTok for artists and boost your art sales.
Why Does TikTok For Artists Work Better Than Expected?
At the time of writing, TikTok’s hub of artists is thriving and expanding each day. The art community on the app is growing steadily, and it’s not going away anytime soon.
Here are all the reasons why TikTok can do wonders for your art business and sales:
As you already know, TikTok’s algorithm operates in a way that will amplify reach and engagement. More importantly, the number of your followers doesn’t impact the chances of your content going viral:
Nevertheless, even unknown artists can see their business blow up on TikTok and reach a wider audience than they can imagine.
Let’s go back to TikTok’s For You Page (FYP):
Each new TikTok user gets to enjoy an FYP the algorithm creates based on that person’s interests and behavior on the app. Subsequently, TikTok makes it easier for artists to get their work discovered by audiences who may not have actively sought them out, thus expanding their reach.
Engagement And Interaction
Right now, comments, duets, and stitches are some of TikTok’s most utilized features.
Assuming you’ll use these features to the best of your advantage, you’ll be in the perfect position to encourage engagement between yourself and your audience.
Artists actively using TikTok can showcase their creativity, talent, and abilities in many ways.
For instance, you can invite your audience to witness your art creation process while offering behind-the-scenes footage of your art studio. Also, you can use videos that follow your work from a blank canvas to a finished product.
Long story short, TikTok is one of the best platforms to gain exposure, attract new audiences, and convert viewers into paying customers.
TikTok For Artists: Tips And Ideas To Promote Your Art On The TikTok App
1) Create A Brand And Artistic Identity
Nowadays, you can often hear people talking about how social media negatively affects a person’s mind and contributes to that person losing their identity. I dare to state the opposite if you’re an artist looking to grow and expand your business:
Everything you post on social media can become a visual representation of who you are as an artist. So, think about that while you’re registering a TikTok account.
Play with all the features and resources TikTok offers you to create a brand, carve an identity, and find the style that best represents your business.
You can achieve that by sticking to a few colors and video layouts that will make your brand recognizable in time. After all, branding is an essential part of marketing, and you should keep that in mind while utilizing TikTok for artists!
2) Add Your Own Spin To The Current Trends
Do you know what’s one of the biggest advantages of advancing your art business on TikTok? I’ll tell you – the way trends operate and how content creators can benefit from them.
Once you start spending time on TikTok, you’ll notice that a specific song or sound can become extremely popular overnight. You’d be crazy not to benefit from that:
Don’t waste any time when some sound is going viral. Instead, upload an art video or tutorial with that specific sound and watch TikTok’s algorithm doing its magic.
Note: Trends on TikTok don’t last forever. On the contrary, they might be a thing only for a few days, so don’t hesitate to use them as quickly as possible.
3) Don’t Hide Your Personality
Here is the thing with profiting from TikTok for artists:
You want to benefit from all the trends. Meanwhile, no trend would be worth it if it demands you become someone you’re not.
Yes, you’re on TikTok to promote your art business, and trends can do a lot for the popularity of your online store. Still, your audience will connect with you if these people feel there is an actual person behind the camera instead of a talking billboard.
By all means, reliability is the name of the game on TikTok – you don’t want to ever forget that. Naturally, don’t withhold your true voice and personality while creating content for TikTok.
4) Engage With Others
Networking and collaborations are essential on every social media, and TikTok is not an exception. And we all know communication goes and works both ways:
No artist would ever find enormous success on TikTok if they acted like other art creators didn’t exist. TikTok offers so many ways to connect and collaborate with fellow artists.
Think about it – why should you benefit only from your own audience when you can double your reach and talk to someone else’s too?
Best Hashtags For Artists On TikTok
Hashtags will help your content reach its target audience. Always add hashtags in your video’s descriptions when using TikTok for artists.
But which hashtags will have the biggest impact? Let’s see the most popular ones:
What Is TikTok Shop?
Prepare for a massive surprise if you haven’t paid lots of attention to TikTok for artists lately:
Right now, TikTok allows artists to market and sell their products directly on the app via the TikTok Shop.
Previously, viewers had to follow the external link you provided to visit your online store. Well, not anymore:
TikTok Shop is a fantastic feature you should utilize to convert even more followers into buyers quickly. How awesome is that?
- How To Sell Art On Instagram
- Guide To Selling Paintings On Amazon
- Ways To Sell Art On Facebook
- Step-By-Step Guide To Selling Art On Zazzle
- Best Ways To Sell Art On Pinterest
Tips And Ideas To Make More Art Sales On TikTok
- Upload Content Regularly: One of the fastest ways to grow your art business on TikTok is by uploading videos daily. Many artists post multiple times a day on the platform. While that would be time-consuming, the effort will be worth it.
- Others May Copy You: Along with the audience that loves your art, promoting your business on TikTok will attract the wrong crowd, too. Don’t be surprised when people start copying your work – it happens to anyone doing well on the app. When that happens, check TikTok’s Copyright Policy and let the platform aware of the situation.
- Never Overdo It: While using TikTok for artists has many benefits, you might want to think about the negatives as well. Letting a social platform become your whole life won’t be good for your mental health and wellbeing.
What can I say – there are so many reasons to start using TikTok for artists as soon as today.
You never know which post will make a huge difference for your business and take it to the next level.
Again, every social media platform, including TikTok, is great if you take it at the right dosage. In no circumstances should TikTok become your whole universe!
Do you have any questions about today’s topic? Write them down in the comments section, and I’ll provide answers as soon as possible.